Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Dining Out - I go, you go, we all ESCARGOT

One of my favorite things to do is to try new foods.  I am not a daredevil but when it comes to trying different types of foods, I'm always ready for the challenge.  It doesn't matter how strange or exotic the food may be, I am always willing to try it.  One of the most unusual foods I've ever eaten was escargot (pronounced ES-CAR-GO). Escargot is a popular French dish that is made with snails.  The snails are removed from their shells, and cooked (usually with garlic and butter or wine), and then placed back into the shells with the butter and sauce for serving. Special snail tongs (for holding the shell) and snail forks (for extracting the meat) are also given to assist with eating. At first I was very apprehensive to try it because I couln't get the image of a bug out of my head, but I was curious enough to let go and try it.  Suprisingly, I enjoyed the dish and ate all of the escargot.  So as the old saying goes, "Don't knock it till you try!"

Vocabulary
Daredevil (adjective) - a person who is daring
challenge (verb) - a test or competition
tongs (noun) - a sissor like utensil that used to hold something
extracting (verb) - pulling out
assist (verb) - to help
apprehensive (adjective) - a fear that something bad will happen
curious (adjective) - to want to learn more about something
surprisingly (adverb) - unusual
"Don't knock it till you try it" (idiom) - Don't put something down until you have done it yourself.

Grammar Activity
Using the vocabulary words, fill in the sentences below:

1. I used _________ to pick up the hotdog.
2. Julie was _______________ to try the new dance.
3. The dentist was ________________ the boys tooth after he took the xrays.
4. A word bank is used to _________ the student with his vocabulary test.
5. Fred wanted to ______________ Dave to a game of cards.
6. ____________, Jennifer liked the bacon flavored ice cream.
7. I think that my uncle is a ______________ because he likes to skydive.
8. Mike was always __________ of bugs, he loved to learn everything he could about them.

Grammar Point
Contractions are when we combine words together, taking out letters and adding an apostrophe, to create a shortened word that means the same thing. For example, I have becomes I've or Does not becomes Doesn't. 

Grammar Activity
Write a paragraph describing a time when you did something that would make you a "Daredevil."  Try to use 3 different contractions and at least 3 new vocabulary words as well.

2 comments:

  1. I love the use of rhyming in your title, Mrs. Stein. Glad you enjoyed your first escargot experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative blog entry! I had escargot once, but I didn't like the texture. I don't like mushrooms or squid either.

    ReplyDelete