Thursday, May 9, 2013

Nice to meet you!

Meeting new people can be hard and sometimes cause anxiety for some people.  I've never had that problem.  I am very outgoing and forthcoming, so introducing myself to someone comes easily for me.  When I meet someone new, I am always friendly.  I like to smile, extend my hand for a handshake, and I offer a simple "hello!" Usually, the person responds in the same fashion.  Then I try to talk about something that may be of a common interest, for example I may ask, "Do you like to read?" or "What's you favorite movie?"  These questions help to break the ice and helps us to get to know each other.  I like making new friends because it helps to expand my own interests and gives me the opportunity to learn new things.  When I am with my friends, some of the things we like to do include going out to eat, going to a museum, going to the beach and going for a bike ride.  My best friend's name is June.  We've known each other for 27 years, and she will always be my closest and dearest friend. Having friends is a great thing!  I encourage you to go out and make one new friend this week!

Vocabulary

anxiety - the feeling of being very worried about something
outgoing - likes to meet and talk to new people
forthcoming -willing to give information about something
extend - to stretch out a hand or leg
fashion - in a particular way
common - beliefs, ideas are shared by two or more people
break the ice - to ease nervous feelings and help to communicate
expand - to make larger
opportunity - the chance to do something
museum - a place where cultural, historical or scientific objects are kept and shown to the public
encourage - to try to make someone do something they may not ever try to do

Vocabulary Activity
Match the words to their definitions

anxiety                                   a. to stretch out a hand or leg

outgoing                                 b. a place where cultural, historical, or scientific objects are kept and shown

forthcoming                            c. to make larger

extend                                   d. the feeling of being very worried about something

fashion                                   e. beliefs, ideas that are shared by two or more people

common                                f. to try to make someone do something they may not ever try to do.

break the ice                         g.  in a particular way

expand                                 h. the chance to do something

opportunity                          i. likes to meet and talk to people

museum                               j. willing to give information about something

encourage                           k. to ease nervous feelings and help to communicate

Grammar Point
Idioms are phrases whose words are used together to have a meaning that is different from the dictionary definitions of the individual words.  For example:
"Break the Ice" means to ease nervous feeling
"Pulling my leg" means to tease someone by telling them something that is untrue

Grammar Activity
Look at the idioms below and try to figure out the meaning.  Then check your answers by looking up the idioms using the following website:

"Lay down the law"
"Go fly a kite"
"Icing on the cake"
"beat the clock"
"cream of the crop"
"In a jam"
"Hit the hay"
"down to earth"
"on cloud nine"
"get your ducks in a row"


No comments:

Post a Comment